Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

2009, Indeed

I feel like Houdini when it comes to writing in this blog and visiting other establishments of word fare. There she is, and there she goes...... My Mother would say I have the attention span of a two year old who can't focus on one shiny object for more then two minutes before she gets awed by another shiny object across the room. Mom's have a way with truth, so I won't feign denial.

Now, I could write that shortly before Christmas I overdosed on eggnog at a Xmas party and wandered outside to find a suitable place to privately vomit. After I had purged my body of the offending alcohol and was meandering around the neighborhood looking for the house I was supposed to be in, a Santa suited man pulled up on a rip roaring loud Harley. He offered me a ride to the North Pole and I took him up on the offer. No? Not likely? You never know...........

I held no expectations on the taking side of Christmas this year. When anyone asked me what I'd like from Santa, my pat response was to shrug my shoulders and say 'nothing'. When I got the standard 'oh B.S., what do you want', I'd retort back, 'if you do anything, make sure it's book size or smaller'........(I'm getting on in years and the less things I have, the easier things will go when I make a break for it in a few years)

I received 5 priceless gifts that I now treasure.

!) My parents gave me the overnight( lovingly refurbished by them) carry case my Grandmother who passed away last May, always took with her everywhere. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven to receive such a treasure. (bigger then a book, but absolutely fits my general escape plan)

@) A picture frame from my girls, of my girls. But the frame itself is almost like a shadow box, that they had painted and personalized all around the picture. I adore it.

#) A letter in the mail that carried volume and voice from afar I never dreamed I would hear. Who would have thought technology and snail mail would mix so beautifully. I was beyond smiling. (Thank You so much)

$) Words and connection. Two things I dared not dream I'd get again. That gift came, and I felt peace within once again. (In case you are indeed checking in, Thank You)

%) A package from afar. Two books, both appreciated, but one exceeded any book expectation I'd ever conjured. A 109 year old book, so old that the leather feels like the smoothest suede I've ever touched. The pages heavy, thick and boldly typeset. I never dreamed I'd possess such a book by Ralph Waldo Emerson, Natvre (Not misspelled, it's a version of Nature) Words cannot express my gratitude. (Thank You, for such a priceless gift, now don't hold out the mystery to long)

I went from the 'don't want a damn thing' sort of lady, to a proud Queen reigning her kingdom with priceless treasures. Rich indeed.

2009 came toppling in on the coat tails of my Christmas euphoria. I didn't mind. 2008 isn't exactly a year I'm fond or proud of. First, I lost two people I loved, to death and that casts a dark shadow. Second, the only significant things I did, I'd like to choke the shit out of myself for and I have nothing outstanding good to slug my own shoulder and say well done 2008 Rebecca for. That fact, to put it bluntly, sucks and irritates the hell out of me.

I have some serious catch up in these parts to engage in. Until then, I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday season and if you see Harley man in a Santa suit, give him a wink for me.

32 Additional Thoughts:

Ohhh, the book...what a treasure! I think any reader would be ecstatic to get such a thing.

I hope 09 is a better year for you!

Hugs, Beth

January 03, 2009 11:39 AM  

good things come in unexpected packages.


09 is on the upswing. i have decided that it will be 'my' year but you can have some of it too.

xxalainaxx

January 03, 2009 11:57 AM  

i'm so jealous you got that fantastic BOOK. it sounds like you did well this christmas, full of treasures near & dear to the heart.

happy new year, my friend.
xo

January 03, 2009 12:38 PM  

I'm so glad those who love you didn't listen to you, but showered you with wonderful tokens of their love that brightened your days.

How fast did Santa's Harley go? ;o)

January 03, 2009 12:51 PM  

Santa on a Harley... Yeah, it could happen. I remember a Christmas Eve many moons ago that I spent with Santa.... Er... uh... Never Mind! LOL!

All of your presents sound fantastic, but I think the overnight carry case sounds like it is right down your alley. How wonderful your parents thought of it, AND how much you would love having it.

January 03, 2009 2:18 PM  

So good to hear from you again! I'm glad you amassed so many treasures for Christmas - we should all be so lucky! Happy New Year
~~Kath~~

January 03, 2009 3:00 PM  

Hope your 2009 is wonderful and full of promise.

January 03, 2009 4:35 PM  

I'm glad that you had a lovely Christmas.

Santa on a Harley huh? lol

*M*

January 03, 2009 6:23 PM  

When you get older, as I am, there isn't anything you really want in the material sense. It's so true, why don't folks believe that and just accept it? This year my husband and I actually honored each other's request not to get presents. We gave each other a card. There's many people I know who could use the money, and so I gave to them. Felt much better than getting some jewelry or perfume that I didn't need. Your gifts sound lovely...true treasures. Happy New Year! bea

January 03, 2009 8:08 PM  

Wonderful post as always Rebecca. You have a beautiful way of stringing words together and touching hearts with them. I hope that 2009 is a much better year for you. :-)

January 04, 2009 12:11 AM  

Two people? Oh, dear; I'm so sorry, Rebecca. And it doesn't help to have that "significant" negative, either, no doubt, but that'll fade away more readily, I suspect. Enya sings of angels of joy and of grief and of other things, Christmas angels, and yes, there is both in its present and passing. This new year is, well, new. May you receive even more treasured gifts (which can include hugs and smiles and blessings). Here's a virtual eggnog-less toast to you (but hey, cool dream sans the vomiting part). :) -- Robin

January 04, 2009 11:00 AM  

Wonderful...I love to read the words of Ralph Waldo Emerson. What a superb gift. Glad you had such a wonderful Christmas. Wishing you the very happiest New Year. May all your dreams come true.

January 04, 2009 4:23 PM  

Hello! I adore shiny objects. There goes one now!

Twirl, the story you stumbled on, is about a young cowboy and ballerina who are your typical star crossed lovers. If you click on the dancing category, you can start reading their stories from the beginning. I'm working on getting it organized on my site now!

January 04, 2009 4:26 PM  

The unexpected is always a wonderful surprise, and all the more cherished. Your words express that so well.
I hope you have a wonderful New Year, full of cherished surprises.

Hugs, Leigh

January 04, 2009 8:16 PM  

I think I had a better than expected holiday because I had such low expectations to begin with.

January 05, 2009 4:54 PM  

You have me my gift, in a big manilla envelope, in October, though I am sure you did not think of it as a traditional gift. I have shared it with many since.....thank you.

January 06, 2009 1:18 PM  

Ok, not have..GAVE. :-)

January 06, 2009 1:20 PM  

The greatest gift I received this year was that of family, friendship and love. Oh, I know it sounds cliche', but I am swimming in riches that have absolutely NOTHING to do with money.

I love how delighted you sound and how much your treasured gifts meant to you and touched your heart at the time you recieved them, as well as how much they will mean to you for a lifetime.

I too, have been remiss in my journal visits... We must be who we are and do what we do, and those who love us want to hear all about it when we reappear, not hold it against us.

Thanks for being one of those people.

::hug::

January 07, 2009 6:13 PM  

Wow, you really did receive treasures this Christmas - they'll bring you lots of joy.

I hope 2009 is a wonderful, rich and joyful year for you.

January 08, 2009 1:43 AM  

Ah I had wondered if it's arrival had been intact. It was new to me as well. Something kept in secrecy even from Paul until the Eve. I needed him to be my ears.

You and me both dear heart in the midst of shadows of 2008. I have a feeling 2009 is the year I find my freedom and forgive the one who needs it most, myself.

You showed me the lock all I needed was to find the key within myself. Someday soon I'll elaborate and share what I mean by that.

The gifts priceless. All heartfelt, all to be envied. Here's to 2009! May this year smile on us both in beauty and spirit! I've missed your words, last night I read through that priceless parcel of random I have of yours. From miles away came comfort in the unexpected.(Hugs)Indigo

January 09, 2009 6:14 AM  

Your appreciation for your gifts - simple and priceless - is a joy in my day.

I wish you a happy 2009.

January 09, 2009 12:37 PM  

Wow! Your writing is crisp, witty and very refreshing.

+ 1 follower.

Tiffany

January 09, 2009 1:09 PM  

Your priceless expression of the love of your gifts in uplighting. I can see you are loved!.Here is to 2009!
Linda

January 10, 2009 7:06 PM  

The great thing about a new year is that it's new, so we get to start anew. This will be the year that you get to say, "Well done, Rebecca."

No, I'm not really Pollyanna but I do a pretty good imitiation of her. I figure that if I keep it up long enough, I may start to believe myself.

Wishing you joy in 2009.

January 13, 2009 9:20 AM  

Wishing you a great new year! Hugs TerryAnn

January 15, 2009 9:28 AM  

Hi Rebecca! Happy New Year! Sorry, it's 15 days old but I'm pulling a Rebecca myself!. My computere's been acting up and I'm in and out like a fog.
Great entry! Love your treasures!I find books the best gifts.

January 15, 2009 5:28 PM  

I often find the best things come in small packages. I'm so sorry for the loss of your loved ones. Hope 2009 brings much happiness. hugs ~ Lori

January 28, 2009 7:27 AM  

As always, a wonderful read.

January 28, 2009 9:45 AM  

year 2009 the best year for you..

January 28, 2009 3:12 PM  

great post those are some great gifts you recieved

check out my new blog http://angelretreat.wordpress.com

February 09, 2009 10:06 PM  

A great post - I continually feel that it's less simple than I previously thought.

January 20, 2018 5:25 AM  

Thanks for sharing post – much appreciated and now following you! Looking forward to your Post....

February 28, 2018 3:55 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home