Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Technically Speaking

I feel akin to a 5 year old refusing to learn her ABC's in kindergarten while everyone around me (same age) is reading on a 5th grade level when it comes to all the technological hoopla closing in around me.


Until this point I really haven't cared enough about the bells and whistles to join the crowd in the advanced revolution that includes, but is not limited to the following:

  • Myspace-Facebook-Twitter-Gather
  • Gadgets, Widgets, Javascript, HTML, anything that hints or smells of "code"
  • (I find myself entirely impressed with myself that I'm using the bullet point feature here)
  • A zillion forums to join
  • Blogs, Logs, Virtual communities, Glogs (I discovered that's a blog with multiple authors)(I also consider myself a basic if not marginal level participant here)
  • Feeds, readers, feed blitzes
  • Picture phones, text messaging, Internet capabilities, bar code scans decoded by phone
  • YouTube, Flat screen TV, HDTV, Blueray, Red Box, Pay per View
  • Webinars, teleseminar, Webcam, online college degree in 10 days, 20 for the PhD, Intrameeting
  • Email, blurbs, alerts, messaging, Instant messages and private messages (IM's & PM's for the advanced user)
  • Onstar, Sirius, GPS and DVD players in the car
  • And on and on and on and on and on and on.................

First of all, much of that tech crap costs a lot of money. Gone are the days when a person had a single phone line in a house and paid 20 bucks a month for 30 cable channels. I added it up. For the simple implied requirements of staying with the century, I get the pleasure of paying for almost a handful of cells phones, a land line for fax and DSL, digital cable and several tech inspired/required items for my work. Cost=the monthly price of a damn nice new car payment or supporting a village in a third world country.

But beyond the cost, on a personal level, I can barely embrace the impersonal aspect of it all. These days a person could go an entire day mixing and mingling, socially engaging without actually talking to a soul. No physical contact, zero facial expressions unless one wants to count :o) and :( and the entire range of emoticons available on computer and phone. Why call when you can text? Why write with pen and paper if you have computer? Why present a contract in person when you can fax the little sucker.

Is it a social revolution of laziness or efficiency? I think today I'm just agitated because:

  • I'm barely figuring out Facebook ( I think I may like Facebook, jury is still out)
  • Someone told me I also needed Twitter, so I signed up for it last night and immediately thought "Seriously? This is a popular idea of social interaction? WTF" Count me out.
  • In an actual face to face business meeting yesterday I was informed we will now be adding bar code (found typically in your supermarket) to all marketing so people "can take a picture of it with their cell phones which in turn the cell phone will decode it and display all pertinent information to the viewer" China is already all over this technology.
  • Chinese Translation: Rebecca needs to buy a phone that will actually take a picture and add all the Internet requirements to service plan (cha-ching)
  • I really don't enjoy spending hours and hours on the Internet
  • I can't go or do anything without the pressing obligation of answering or texting on the cell phone
  • If you miss a call from someone, they ask, "Are you screening me?" To which I'd like to reply, "Well yes, yes I was, I was going to the bathroom and although you are under the belief that since I have a cell phone that entitles you to instant gratification and access, I'd like to hold fast to personal time."

I also get the feeling everyone else is loving, embracing and enjoying (learning) all the tech hoopla and I'm like the old, old, cynical Grannie protesting it all saying things like "Back in the old days......"

And then the old cynical lady becomes a hypocrite and posts her thoughts online. That truth is my rock and the soft squishy place.

20 Additional Thoughts:

Good post I enjoyed reading it. I unfortunately am one of those people who cannot live without my gadgets and all the hoopla. Hope you day is good!

January 30, 2009 10:36 AM  

I'm still figuring out facebook myself, and that's okay. My DD's generation can enjoy the bells and whistles of that; I'll enjoy seeing a few photos from friends I had back some 30 or so years ago...... even if there are only so many of us from back then, on facebook NOW.
I'm not 100% on what twitter IS, but have a guess.
Really cool about those barcode thingies that cell phones can read.
But, really, if you get a cell phone, it's hard to find them w/out a camera, and then you can give out your home phone # to people you don't truly wish to talk with (and screen them that way). Or, cancel one line.
Information overload, sensory overload, and instant accessibility that gets documented. It's exciting and new, if neither of us had blogs I'd have never "met" you, and it's all overwhelming. Balance, finding the balance. Do it all how it works for YOU.
I only joined facebook to keep up with my DD when she's at her father's. Interesting to find my first love, and a few IRL friends of mine, though. Balance. It's not all bad, not all good. You'll find what works for you:)

January 30, 2009 11:45 AM  

Don't look at me I'm still on dial up at home. Facebook is fun.

January 30, 2009 12:31 PM  

It's all true. Some I've embraced (computers and blogging), others I have not (I have a cell phone but never use it). For an introvert like me, online communication is nirvana.

Love the bullets, by the way! Nicely done! :) <---I really am smiling right now!

Beth

January 30, 2009 2:46 PM  

I like Facebook but haven't tried much of the other stuff. My phone can do email and messaging but no camera.

January 30, 2009 3:06 PM  

Some technology makes life easier, such as internet shopping. Love the new friends from AOL and Blogger. Ashamed to admit a little addicted to FaceBook games. But that is about it, never learned to text, and have no plans for twitter and such.

January 30, 2009 5:08 PM  

OMFG, Becky made a blog entry!

January 30, 2009 5:35 PM  

Okay, so you do have to be dragged into the techno generation, kicking and screaming, just like the rest of us that weren't weaned on digital "everything".
I have learned a few *skills* (and I do use that term loosely), use my cell phone( mostly work)that only makes calls and texts, as we don't have a landline(cable internet). I have a myspace page, so that I could read my son's writings and see his photos. I IM with him, am on 1 forum and have PM'd. I signed up for Facebook 2 days ago, still haven't figured it out. And like Beth, am kind of an introvert, I'd never have met so many wonderful people without the internet.
The great thing about all this technology is that they all have *off* buttons, and I do know how to use those! :) real smile!

Hugs, Leigh (that would be a real hug if this was in person)

January 30, 2009 5:39 PM  

Aha! There you are. I thought you were floating around in cyberspace somewhere *winks*. I have an account or two (don't ask) in Facebook that I never visit and have by now forgotten whatever password I used to sign up to begin with...

Honestly, I'm trying desperately to have a life. I can't entertain Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and all else and accomplish that. As for being Tech savvy...sigh...did you hear the scream all the way over there, when I thought I screwed up my brand new laptop?

Html codes I use a cheat site. I just this year - since cell phone's came out, have one of my own. Paul finds this insatitable need to text daily messages to see if I'm alive.Yet I'm sitting here kicking myself for my own insipid realization. I've been waiting for you to show up in cyber land and I could of easily sat down and wrote a letter. A letter saying your missed and where the hell have you been? *winks*...See this is proof I'm leaving a novella in you comment section.

I will get to the letter shortly, I know there are no expectations hung over me. These days I'm writing here, there, and a little over there...It's great to be wanted. (Hugs)Indigo

January 30, 2009 6:29 PM  

i agree...twitter is stupid.

the other stuff some of it i can do and some of it i like ( i text tons) the rest will take care of itself- o dont worry about it.

it is odd to be so connected yet isolated at the same time- you hit the nail square on the head there.

xxalainaxx

January 30, 2009 11:52 PM  

I do facebook. That is the only way I can keep up with my kids and all that's going on in their lives. They are notoriously bad at keeping in touch with me. I am on twitter, but have not for the life of me figured out what the point is yet, so I mostly ignore that. I do blog as you know and that has been one of my great joys in life these past few years. I really enjoy it and can't imagine a life without my blog now. The only sad part is that most of my friends are now invisible, but at least I have friends. In my line of work and with the hours I have to work, this works perfectly for me!

January 31, 2009 12:33 AM  

I do Facebook and Twitter.. I think they both have their places and I use them both frequently. Look into Twitter..even CNN uses it. It is great micro blogging tool and really is useful for blogging communities as well as a few other applications :) ;) :0)

January 31, 2009 3:12 AM  

P.S.

I have a couple of things I wrote or added to my site humanus augmentis that explain and talk about Twitter.. You can use the search bx built into the site on the right side of the page. I have a few other ideas there on that blog.. check it out. What other techy stuff do you have issues with? I would like to learn more about all it too. Hope to see you there!

January 31, 2009 3:19 AM  

It is good to have you back blogging again..I have been going every day to see if you posted anything..and missed your writings.

I don't do either of the Twitter or Face Book ( sounds like someone reading a book with their face burried in the book...lol)..but I do enjoy the blog and try to post reguraly because it gives me an outlet for my thoughts and endevors, although from looking at the traffic count on most days..I often wonder .."Is there anyone out there?" and few comment anymore...but I just keep posting semi reguraly in the hope I am reaching at least one person out there and enjoy reading others posts too.

Bob

January 31, 2009 12:13 PM  

oh gurrrrrl, i have like, everything. to be honest, i'm starting to get bored with twitter. it's the same shit, different day, and it's hard to keep up with some of the people over there who twitter every two seconds.

i have a facebook, but i've had it since the FIRST time i went to college, which was like 6 or 7 years ago, HAH!

i have myspace, and rarely use it anymore.

obviously, i blog, but i've been doing that for almost 5 years now so i'm def. not stopping that ;)

i miss seeing your face on a regular basis around here, but then when you do pop by, i get this "kid in a candy shop" grin and it makes me happy for days :]

xo

January 31, 2009 7:32 PM  

Hi Rebecca!
so...facebook huh? lol..I just signed up a week ago, and ummm,...I'm ashame to admit, but I'm hooked! lol..
I'm with you about the costs of latest tech just to keep up...thanks for the reminder..I totally forgot how cheap it was (one phone line!) way back when...?
Take care,
Gem :-)

January 31, 2009 11:10 PM  

p.s.
I just sent a friend invite..hope to see you there,
Gem ;-)

January 31, 2009 11:49 PM  

I have a love/hate realtionship with technology. It excites and thrills me, sort of like starting a new relationship. Unfortunately, just like the magic often goes out of the relationship the first time he says something stupid and you recognize that your perfect man is a perfect fool, so the thrill of technology lessens when you realize that you never see the sun on the weekends because you're glued to your computer.

February 01, 2009 5:06 PM  

I couldn't live without my computer or my Blackberry. I love all this "tech" stuff.

*HUGS*

February 04, 2009 6:17 PM  

I'm commenting way down here because I didn't want to barge in on your (very cool) comp.

I've always been behind on the tech stuff too. I still hardly use my mobile phone and we only have 5 tv channels. Have to say I like Facebook though. I joined Twitter 2 days ago and the jury is still out. I'm still a bit baffled as in 'why'?

February 05, 2009 2:46 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home