Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

YA ~~~Yummy Addiction



I have an admission.


I am 36 years old and I read tweenie books. YA= young adult, if we may.

I'm sure it has to do with the fact I have two teen daughters that I've raised to be book addicts. Like good little addicts, once they've had a good hit or high, they want to share the euphoria with another. I will label the next stage, (sh) (p) eer pressure.

They will chant things like, "Come on Mom, you'll like it" or "Mom, every one's reading this one" or even, "Mom, just read a few chapters, if you're not hooked, then put it down." They are accomplished little book dealers if I do say so myself.

Many Moons ago the daughters and I were having a read in. 'A read in' is the three of us snuggled up on my King sized bed enjoying our individual books, or writing, or drawing. Whatever appeals to the individual, as long as everyone is together collectively broadening our minds. During that particular read in I was reading an age appropriate book that had me so agitated and frustrated I actually chucked it against the wall in a fit of unparalleled book disgust.

Little did I know, that was the day I would join the cult of teenage obsession and become a Twilight addict. Shelby did it. I blame her. She shoved the paper pulp up my nose, I mean, she pressed the tweenie book into my hands and swore I'd fall in love a vampire. (Which I did) (Which is damn near embarrassing to admit at my age) (But I did) (Unless you've read the series, you cannot assign judgement here) (You just can't)

Now, with any book that creates a cult like following (it isn't just me, every single book in this series has been best seller knock out) they must make a movie. That movie came out Friday and you bet that like any good addicted little book readers, we wanted the visual to go with the words.

Twilight Fever. We all had it on Friday. Me. My daughters and three spare loyal teen worshippers I picked up along the way (with their parents permission of course). I cut work, the kids felt ill at school and got really sick with Twilight fever around 11:00 a.m, just in time for me to pick them all up and head to a hopefully less crowded theater--- The only antidote to our feverish delirium.

On the way to the theater the car was roaring loud with anticipation. Everyone was talking about their favorite parts of the book, wondering if it would be included in the movie. The girls were really nervous Rob Pattinson (the actor playing our hero) wouldn't live up to their standards of what Edward Cullen would act like or look like.

The character Edward Cullen, albiet a vampire in the book, is every females ultimate fantasy in a male. I've realized it doesn't matter if that female is 13 or 36, or even 56, we all want an Edward Cullen in our lives. (Sorry real life guys, your at a real disadvantage here.....you'll need super powers, an immortal soul, fangs, golden eyes, play the piano and possess an undying need to love and protect your lady at every second of the day to even compare. Edward would never need to be asked twice to take out the trash or find a remote control worthy of his time)

And then the movie.

And then back in the car. Devotion is now locked tight within all of our hearts.

At this point in time I'd knock over 20 teenies to have a go with a man that remotely emulates an Edward Cullen.

And that my friends is the power of a well written, well plotted and beautiful book.

23 Additional Thoughts:

I know the fascination of a good book, but this thing has certainly gotten crazy and has a flow to it's own now. It seems to be the rage and is like the flowing rapids of a river in its power. I have never read these books, seems like more of a female thing the way you describe it. I pale in comparison to this Edward Cullen I'm sure. LOL Have a good Sunday.

November 23, 2008 11:40 AM  

My best friend's thirteen year old daughter has been telling us about this series since it began... I gave it nary a thought, until the past few weeks when I've heard grown women talking about it, and then the movie came out. The previews look great. I'm thinking, after reading your entry, I should buy the book and join in this Twilight obsession and catch the Fever!! thanks for telling me about it from your point of view. I'm not a big vampire movie fan, though... so I'm wondering if I'll be immune. Sounds like an experiment, then. There was one vampire I did fall in love with, and you are probably too young to remember, young and handsome Quentin Collins from Dark Shadows (late sixties afternoon show).

November 23, 2008 11:50 AM  

I sooo tried to get someone to go with me to see this movie! I am gonna keep trying! Your entry was scrumptious!!! Can't wait to see it and read the book!

November 23, 2008 12:01 PM  

I gotta go see the movie, everybody is making such a fuss over it. *M*

http://learningtoadapt.blogspot.com

November 23, 2008 12:29 PM  

So did you like it? LOL

I felt the same way with my son when the first Harry Potter book came out :o)

November 23, 2008 2:46 PM  

I have a similiar yearning for the heros of Jane Austen novels.
Of course, the question is, is what makes them so desirable the very fact of their unavailability, in that all-encompassing way?
I hope you are watching True Blood (without the girls). Of course, it's the type of show to be banned in Boise. For an ex-pariah who was up all night for years, has questionable blood and who lived the life of an outlaw, it certainly resonates on many levels.

November 23, 2008 3:01 PM  

I recently had the vampire discussion with Marc and Sheria. I suppose I'll read these books one day, but both Sheria and I agreed that we like our vampires with a little more "bite." (Pardon the lame pun.) There's that element of danger that I find compelling that might be missing in these books. I can't say, because I haven't read them. My ultimate vampire (and I DO loves me my vampire books, movies, and legends) is Lestat de Lioncourt as written by Anne Rice.

Glad you all enjoyed it so much! I can imagine that car ride, both there and back...!

All my best,
Beth

November 23, 2008 3:31 PM  

I kept hearing about these books, and seeing them in the YA section. Now, as an avid Harry Potter fan I am -not- one to turn up my nose at a YA book ;p But, and this is what has kept me from jumping on the wagon, the only way I could get the book -even in paperback- was as one of those over sized editions. Since I read practically everywhere I like to buy my books in regular paperback. Unless I am just drooling to get my hands on the book, I will grit my teeth and wait for the paperback version.... Problem with YA books is that often (as in the case of the Potter Books), they -don't- seem to come out in the smaller paperbacks... sigh!

I've just started seeing the first book in the smaller paperback version since the movie has been coming out. Now it has the problem of my having quite the TBR pile in front of it.... although now that I have your recommendation I may have to go buy it and move it up in the pile!

November 23, 2008 3:32 PM  

Okay, that is it!!! I have to read this series....Way to pass on the addiction... My name is Tawnya and I am a book addict.....

November 23, 2008 4:00 PM  

You didn't...oh yes, you did...

That settles it. I could of easily gone without reading this series as I'm drawn to Rice's version of the vampire. Now however with your whole written entries worth of the Twilight series...

Oh good grief, I'm tempted and will no doubt pick up the first book the next time I venture into a Bookstore.

As I said before, these days I can't seem to satisfy my overindulgent need for words, written, read in whatever form I can devour them.

Unfortunately I will have to await the DVD version of the movie. One of the drawbacks of my deafness is not being able to enjoy the movie theatre experience. (Hugs)Indigo

November 23, 2008 5:45 PM  

Arrrgh, okay, now, you didn't see that eye roll I just shot at the screen did you? Vamps? Yuck. Well, I guess maybe for chicks of all ages, but unless the vimpire is a female in costume on a dancing pole, I'm not sure I could stomach it. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Fred

November 23, 2008 5:58 PM  

My name is Leigh, and I'm a Twilight fan!
I've read the first 3 books, still trying to get "Breaking Dawn" from the library.
Shh, don't spoil it for me. I'll have to wait for the DVD to see the movie.
Reading Bea's comment reminds me of rushing home from school to make it in time to feed my "Dark Shadows" addiction! Now that was a soap opera!
I've got Stephanie Meyer's first adult fiction "The Host" on my winter reading list, I hope it holds up to her Twilight series.

:) Leigh

November 23, 2008 6:20 PM  

Oh, who hasn't found something sexy and endearing about a vampire! I haven't read any of the books, but I've heard others raving about them.

But I think that you pick up and read the same books as your daughters is a real plus for all of you! Enjoy.

November 23, 2008 8:29 PM  

As a fellow Twilight addict, I hold up my hand!! I can't wait for the film to come here and I am going to drag Todd along, if only so that he can watch Edward and . . . ahem . . . copy him. *blush*

November 24, 2008 7:53 AM  

I'm just glad that if I'm dragged down with the rest of the adults in the united states that I'm not alone. lol

I'm glad you and your daughters share this bond. : )

Hugs
B

November 24, 2008 9:07 AM  

I just yesterday saw this movie. Wonderful and I an see the appeal. I am also a fan of Anne Rice and I can easily become one of this series. I love you blog!. It is arractive and well written. I am new here but will be back
Linda

November 24, 2008 10:16 AM  

I've read all the Twilight books, and I DON'T have teen girls at home - don't feel guilty! Haven't seen the movie, and probably won't. I never like the movies as much as I like the books. ~~Kath~~

November 24, 2008 1:07 PM  

Yeah, but can you read them more than once?

November 24, 2008 7:14 PM  

Hope to own even just the first book of the series!

November 25, 2008 7:45 PM  

We saw the movie on it's first night as well. I thought it was a good adaptation of book to movie, but frankly, the book is way better. Anyway... I'm right there with you.. reading books my daughters suggest and enjoying them.

November 26, 2008 6:11 AM  

I haven't read any of the books but now I plan to do so. I also plan to see the movie. Your endorsement has totally persuaded me that my life is missing something if I don't lose myself for a time in the world of Twilight. I've been looking for Edward Cullen my entire life.

November 29, 2008 5:08 PM  

Hello. I had to come and comment on this entry. I did happen to buy the book and I read it and I loved loved loved loved loved it. I really want to see the movie but I have NOT seen it yet. I am glad you mentioned it here. I so love this book and I am glad I bought it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

December 05, 2008 9:27 PM  

I have a homegirl (not a teeny or tweeny by the way) who reads the twilight books. She and her sister tried to get me to go with them to see the movie, but I said no. They said they were going to drag me out of my house, and tie me down to there car and take me, I guess i'm lucky something a little dire came up or unlucky..... depending on how i'm feeling I guess. LOL

December 06, 2008 8:51 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home